Thursday, November 5, 2009

University of Bridgetown | Paper 101



Paper is amazing. Look at a tree and think about how you would go about turning it into a super thin, smooth sheet of print material...is that really possible!? Yes, it is. Yesterday I attended a University of Bridgetown class on paper and I learned how the experts have perfected this process. Bridgetown Printing brought in a Mohawk paper rep to teach the class. He talked about the history of paper, the paper-making process (see diagram below) and what separates the good paper from the bad paper. I learned about formation, opacity, brightness, finish, side-to-side consistency, printability, environmental qualities and permanence. All in an hour and a half! Super interesting. I love paper more than ever.



University of Bridgetown at Bridgetown Printers hosts two classes a month. They're free and lunch is included. Register here. I'll planning on going to the Prepress Class in February. Join me!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I am such a sucker for paper products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will be attending the prepress one!
    I need to know more of that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete