Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Type & Trinkets

You know you're obsessed with type when you read a magazine, book or brochure and when you've finished you realize you haven't really read anything, you've just ogled at the ascenders, descenders, kerning, ligatures and serifs, or lack of. You also know when you're obsessed with type when your friends bring you type books as souvenirs from far-off places. My dear friend Evangeline was shopping in London en route home from Russia and thought of me when she saw  New Vintage Type, a 2007-published book by Steven Heller and Gail Anderson. She also got me an awesome purple leather arm band and some print samples. Way to make me drool, Vang. Next time all I ask is to jump across the pond and shop with you.


"A designer indifferent to letterforms is not really a designer," says Steven Heller and Gail Anderson in their introduction of New Vintage Type. I wholeheartedly agree. I've only made it through the first two chapters of the book, but am way too excited to share it with all of you to wait to write about it. I was thrilled (though not surprised) to see two of my favorite design idols featured: Elizabeth Morrow-McKenzie and Louise Fili. And I've found a few new favorites: Matteo Bologna, Marian Bantjes and Sharon Werner.

Well, all this talk of type has got my stomach a grumblin', so I think I'll go blag a sarnie, as the Londoners would say. Good day, all.

3 comments:

  1. Well, you've got me sold! I just ordered my own copy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I haven't seen this book yet - just ordered one, too. I saw Marian Bantjes speak last year in Anchorage and she was fantastic. She made mention of Louise Fili and Jessica Hische during her talk, noting that Jessica reminded her of herself 20 years ago. I'm sure she's already on your radar, but if not, her website is www.jessicahische.com. I've been hugely inspired by her work lately.
    I'm also going to see Louise Fili speak for AIGA West Michigan while on vacation in a few weeks, and I'm super excited about it!
    Thanks again - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, definitely been tracking Jessica Hische. Ever since a friend introduced me to the Drop Cap a Day project. She's really amazing. You're one lucky designer (?) - getting to be in the presence of such awesome creative minds. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete