Friday, August 27, 2010

Art & Copy / Film


This film about advertising has been around for a while, but I finally got my grubby little hands on it (thanks to a free Netflix trial!). It's reminiscent of before-mentioned films like Helvetica and Objectified in that it's a documentary about a creative industry, namely advertising.

I can't even begin to summarize the film for myself, so I'll let it speak for itself:

"The frightening and most difficult thing about being what somebody calls a creative person is that you have absolutely no idea where any of your thoughts come from, really. And especially, you don't have any idea about where they're going to come from tomorrow."
- Hal Riney (Introductory statement, voice-over)

"I think most creative people are so damn insecure that they want to think they know everything, but they know deep in their hearts that they're just in deep trouble from the minute they get up in the morning. So if you can them, 'that's the way you're supposed to be,' sometimes that's kind of liberating."
- Dan Wieden of Wieden and Kennedy

"You have to be able to talk to people who are not like you and convince people to do things that are not like them." - George Lois (Though I'm not 100% confident in my memory. May have been someone else from the cast.)

"I don't think any organization or any career succeeds if there isn't a goodly amount of old fashioned love involved. And a deep sense of affection for each other, the people you work with….If you can hold onto that and make your decisions with those things in mind, even when they're hard decisions you have to make, I think it's a big difference."
- Dan Wieden of Wieden and Kennedy

So true! All of it!
(Logo image from www.artandcopyfilm.com)

2 comments:

  1. This looks sooo good! I am def. going to watch it, thanks for the review :-)

    ReplyDelete