Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Design Entrepreneur. A book review.

 The Design Entrepreneur by Steven Heller and Lita Talarico

Truth be told, I haven't probed this publication yet. My dear sister-in-law gifted it to me for Christmas and the package yielded large eyes and a smile. Design. Entrepreneur. Two of my favorite words.

The book was published in 2008; I'm not sure how it's been overlooked in my quest for design literature. Happily, it's to be ignored no longer. The title's tagline is "Turning Graphic Design into Goods That Sell" and the back cover boasts this statement (also seen below): "Designers are used to working for clients, but there is nothing better than when the client is oneself. Graphic and product designers, who are skilled with the tools and masters of aesthetics, are now in the forefront of this growing entrepreneur movement." If that was true in 2008, it's only more true as we break into 2011.


I can't speak for all designers, but I know that I have an unrelenting desire to find myself at that forefront, the one that involves two of my favorite words: Design. Entrepreneur. Through the text, 50+ designers/studios are profiled, each study showcasing their commercial creations. The book is practically jumping off my desk, powered by inspiration. All the written words around these designers' energy and innovation seem to give it life, a vivacity I'm dying to lasso and convert into my flavor of fire. I've got a plan or two up my sleeve for 2011. At the moment the before-mentioned plans are simply burning a hole in my sweater. If you're a designer and you have some ideas about how to navigate through this uncharted territory, or don't have any ideas but would really like a few, join me in reading through these case studies. Then let's chat.



No comments:

Post a Comment